Before you begin
In order to successfully create a Marketing Automation flow, you will need to have created a consent list in Audience. Moreover, a Section must also have been set up in Sections; this, however, is an admin user task to perform.
Continue reading this article for in-depth instructions on how to successfully create your first Newsletter signup flow.
If you leave the wizard at any point, your flow will appear in the Drafts tab.
All changes will be saved automatically.
If you're after a guide on how to use the Flow Editor,
take a look at the Flow Editor section.
Create a Newsletter Signup Flow
1. Head over to the Marketing Automation tool. You can do so from the shortcut on the calendar page or from your Tools page.
2. Click Create a New Flow.
3. The conversation wizard will open. You'll see all of APSIS One's pre-defined Marketing Automation flows
Click Newsletter signup to proceed.
This is the very first step of the Conversation Wizard. All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Let's get started!
1. Enter the working name for your Marketing Automation flow. It's only for internal purposes.
2. Choose a Section to create your flow in. After you choose a Section for this activity, it cannot be changed.
3. Click Next.
Here's an overview of each step you must complete in order to get your Newsletter signup flow going. The nodes in this template make for a simple set-up, but you are free to create a more complex setup to increase engagement with other Marketing Automation nodes.
1. Listen node
Start by setting up the Listen node.
The listen node is one of the most important nodes in your Marketing Automation flow.
It will listen for the Profiles in order to bring them into the flow. As Profiles join your Audience, perform any actions, enter a Segment, etc., they may come into your flow depending on your settings. Read more about the listen node...
In the Newsletter signup flow template, you must set up your Listen node to listen for the Signup bar Consent Event.
Have you created a signup bar for your website yet?
Take a look at Creating a Signup bar...
1. Click on the Activity name drop-down and select a Singup bar activity from the list.
2. Expand the Listen for drop-down menu and choose between Email and SMS Consent.
If a Profile enters your flow based on the Listen node settings, and the entry limit is more than 1, the same Profile can enter the flow again before it's able to leave the flow from their first journey. Read more about Flow Settings...
If you'd like to avoid sending too many emails or having duplicate Profiles in your flow, you may use a Check Profile node to see if they've entered your Marketing Automation flow in a period of time. Read more about the Check Profile node...
2. Email node
With the Email node, you'll send emails to Profiles who enter the node. Click Create a new email to create the email that will be sent. Read more about the email node...
If you would like some more information about the Email Editor, jump to this section.
Event Data Personalisation in Marketing Automation Emails
If you're creating an Email activity for an Email node in a Marketing Automation flow, you may notice a feature that's available only within that tool: Event data personalisation!
The inline text editor in the Text Element allows you to use Event data in your email, which in turn provides extra possibilities for personalised emails for those Profiles who enter your Marketing Automation flows. The Event data available here corresponds with the Event you chose in your Listen node.
These work just like Data tags above, simply expand the Event data drop-down in the inline text editor and select a data point from the Event in your Listen node. Read more about Profile data and discover all the possibilities.
To open, click Flow Settings in the Bottom bar.
In Flow settings you can adjust your preferences as to how many times Profiles enter your flow, excluding tags and set a specific time zone. Here's some information about Flow Settings. They're divided between General, Ecommerce, Consent and SMS settings.
Click Goals in the Bottom bar to add information about your Marketing Automation flow, and then click Save to keep your notes.
This feature can be useful for a lot of different cases:
- Remind all users in the account of what each Marketing Automation flow is meant to achieve.
- Write notes about any other existing Marketing Automation flows that this flow is connected to via a Change Flow node.
- Add information for other users about other APSIS One activities outside of the Marketing Automation tool that a flow is connected to, or depends on, like a Sign-up bar.
- Keep any details about the flow, like what use case or scenario it is meant to address, for easier troubleshooting by our APSIS Support agents.
Congratulations on creating your Newsletter signup flow!
Now, let's have an overview of the flow. Check that all the nodes are correct.
Does everything look good? Click Activate.