Before you begin
In order to successfully create a Marketing Automation flow, you will need to have created a Consent list in Audience. Moreover, a section must also have been set up in Data Sections; this, however, is an admin user task to perform.
Continue reading this article for in-depth instructions on how to successfully create your first Marketing Automation flow.
If you leave the wizard at any point, your flow will appear in the Drafts tab.
All changes will be saved automatically.
If you're after a guide on how to use the Flow Editor,
take a look at the About the Flow Editor section.
Create a New Marketing Automation Flow
1. Head over to the Marketing Automation tool. You can do so from the shortcut on the calendar page or from your Tools page.
2. Click Create a New Flow.
3. The conversation wizard will open.
Continue scrolling through this article to follow through every step.
Click on a step on the left side navigation to fast-forward.
You'll see all of APSIS One's pre-defined Marketing Automation flows, Ecom flows, as well as your own flow templates. To make a completely custom flow, click Blank Canvas. Otherwise, choose whichever template you prefer.
We have articles on how to create pre-defined flows, in case you'd like detailed instructions.
This is the very first step of the Conversation Wizard. All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Let's get started!
1. Enter a working name for your flow. It's only for internal purposes.
2. Choose a section to create your flow in. After you choose a section for this activity, it cannot be changed. Accounts with only one section will have their section selected by default.
3. Choose a Consent list and Topics to send the emails to.
4. Ready? Click Next.
The Flow Editor
Welcome to the Flow Editor. Here you will add nodes and establish the paths for your marketing automation. If you would like an in-depth guide for every aspect of the Flow Editor, take a look at our About the Flow Editor section.
Start by setting up the Listen Node.
The listen node is the most important node in your marketing automation flow.
It will listen for the profiles in order to bring them into the flow. As profiles join your Audience, perform any actions, enter a segment, etc., they may come into your flow depending on your settings. Read more about the listen node...
1. Click Select.
2. The Listen node will expand. Choose between attributes, tags, events and segments. You may only choose one per flow.
3. Fill in the node settings. For more detailed information about the listen node, jump here.
4. Once you've set up the Listen node, click Save.
Adding a Node
1. Click on the plus sign (+) to connect another node to the listen node.
3. Click Edit to fill in the node settings.
4. Repeat the same process above to add more nodes. If you would like more information about all the nodes and how to set them up, jump to About the Nodes.
5. To connect the nodes, click on the plus sign (+) and drag a line towards the next node to connect. Nodes must always be connected to another node, unless they signal the end of the flow and require no future action.
In Flow settings you can adjust your preferences as to how many times profiles enter your flow, excluding tags and set a specific time zone.
To open, click Flow Settings in the Bottom bar.
Click on an item below to expand:
These settings will allow you to decide how many times profiles can enter the flow.
Choose between unlimited, and up to five times.
You may also choose to allow them to enter a number of times within a certain time frame. To achieve that, click the Within a time frame box and select between 1 to 10 days, weeks, months or years.
Removed profiles from a paused flow
When activating a paused flow, you get the choice of removing the profiles from it. If you do, not only will they still be a part of the Report, but they will also be able to re-enter this Marketing Automation flow after you activate it again.
This means that, even if you limited the number of times profiles can enter the flow, those who were removed from the flow when reactivating will be allowed in once more.
It's possible to set up a rule that will remove from the flow all profiles that are tagged at any point in time. Regardless of where they are in the flow, or when they're tagged, if you set up this rule you may remove them from the flow.
Note that the profiles will not be removed immediately when they are tagged, but rather when they leave a node. This means that profiles will enter the Listen node and then be removed. They will also be a part of the statistics of the Listen node.
For example, if a profile is tagged while on a Timer node, the profile will remain in the Timer node according to its settings. If the profile is still tagged when it has completed the Timer node, it will be removed from the flow. If the profile is not tagged anymore by the time it completes the Timer node, it will remain in the flow.
Click on the drop-down menu to select an existing tag.
To create a new tag, click Create new tag
Enter the name for the tag and click Save.
You may adapt this marketing automation flow to a specific time zone. This is particularly useful whenever creating flows that will affect profiles who reside in other countries.
Select a time zone from the drop-down menu.
When ready, click Done.
Congratulations on creating your new Marketing Automation flow!
Now, let's have an overview. Check that all the nodes are correct; if you would like to change anything, this is a good time.
Does everything look good? Click Activate.