Before you begin
In order to successfully collect product views data, you will need to have created an APSIS One Cookie Banner or connected your own. Moreover, a section with a domain must also have been set up in Data Sections; this, however, is an admin user task to perform. Also, is your tracking script installed? Without it, no data will be collected.
Track what information is most relevant to your visitors by collecting product views.
The process is simple: you provide us with a product page, granted that it matches the rest of your product pages, and you decide which fields you want to track; after completing the activity, we will be able to track the views of all the products that have the same type of page. If you have more than one type of product page, simply make a Product Views capture for each of them.
The data picked up from your visitors' interaction is then fed straight into their individual profiles, allowing you to have a better sense of their interests.
Create and Activate
1. Head over to the Website tool. You can do so from the shortcut on the calendar page or from your Tools page.
2. Click Create a New Activity.
3. The conversation wizard will open. Under Collect, click Product Views.
4. Follow all the steps to create and customise your activity.
Continue scrolling through this article to follow through every step.
Click on a step on the left side navigation to fast-forward.
In this step you'll enter a product URL in order to track your visitors' product views.
You only need to do this once per product page layout. If you have more than one type of product page layout, do one at a time. If you only have one type of product page, you will only do this once.
1. Write a working name for your activity.
2. Select a domain from the drop-down menu.
3. Enter the URL of your desired product page.
You may create more than one Product Views activity for your domain by matching the domain's cookie.
Enable this feature if, for example, your domain can be shown in different languages. If you want to enable it, click on a language on the right side drawer. Read more about domains and language options...
To enable this activity for all the languages in your domain, simply click only on the domain.
Remember to create a separate Product Views activity for each language that you support.
4. Ready to start? Click Next.
This is where you will be mapping out every component of your product page layout, so that the data can be tracked as your visitors browse your website.
1. The product page will show up on the screen. Is this one of your product pages?
Click Yes if accurate, and No, Search Again if you would like to give it another try.
Let's take a look
You will get a view of your product along with our Bottom bar.
There you will find different visual elements for you to track. Essentially, what you will be doing later is connecting these elements with the placeholders in the page.
If the Bottom bar doesn't show up, please contact your Admin user and make sure your tracking script is installed.
There are default visual elements, but you can create custom elements if you wish.
These are the default visual elements:
Product name is where the name of the product is placed.
Category refers to the type of product.
Price is the value of the item.
Image big is a visual element for images.
The only mandatory elements are Product name and Category.
You can also create an element that matches one of your data tags by using a custom field. To learn how to add a custom field, expand Adding Custom Elements below.
So, let's get started!
2. Here are all the actions you will be performing in this step.
Click on an item below to expand:
How to Place Visual Elements
1. Click on the visual element you want to place.
2. Click on the object in your website that matches the element. It will be highlighted in green.
Is the Bottom bar getting on the way?
Go ahead and click on the arrow on the top right corner of the Bottom bar to push the bar up or down, depending on where in the screen you would like to track elements.
3. If you wish to remove the element, click the X on the bottom right corner of the object.
4. If you would like to track a complex area, or a combination of areas, click the arrow on the object to toggle the selection towards the next biggest trackable area.
This is particularly useful for more complex layouts where there are multiple product images, for example, or if you would like to track the entire component as a custom visual element.
5. Continue to add elements to connect your placeholders.
How to Add a Custom Element
1. Click Add custom element
2. A pop-up will appear with fields for you to fill-in.
3. Write the name of your element under Title.
4. Click on the Type drop-down menu.
About the Types of Elements:
Text: A container for text or images. In the case of text, there is a 100-character limit.
Boolean: Either the items that are mapped with this element exist on a product page or they don't. Make sure that you're using a product page in which the item to map does appear, in order to track it. For example, if you label your items as on sale, or with a 70% off sticker, you will be tracking that placeholder with a boolean element.
Number: A field to track numbers, like an alternative price, percentage, or any other numeric value.
Number w/decimals: Same as the number field, yet this one has the ability to track numbers with decimals.
5. Choose a type of Element.
There it is! Continue reading about placing visual elements.
How to Remove a Custom Element
If you want to remove an element, hover over it and click the red X in the top right corner.
You may only remove custom elements.
3. Review the objects associated with your elements to make sure everything matches.
4. Satisfied? Click ACTIVATE.
Otherwise, Cancel to return to the first step of Website Collect. Your activity will be saved to Drafts.
If you have different product page layouts, you might want to do this again.
Remember this activity is for the product page layout and not every specific product. Every area tracked in the product page chosen will be tracked for all products that match the product page layout you provided.
We're done! Click SAVE & FINISH to save your activity.