About Consent lists and Topics
With Consent lists you keep track of your subscribers' consent, see how many profiles are in each list, and communicate with them.
Topics, on the other hand, categorise your subscribers according to their interest in relation to your brand. Visitors, customers and subscribers always provide consent on Topic level.
To emphasise: Consent lists do not work like any other mailing list you may be familiar with. They are closer to being a cloud-form method of grouping subscribers based on what they decide to give you consent on.
Let's see it like this: profiles provide consent on Topic level, according to the reason and frequency that you will be addressing them.
With Consent lists you group subscribers according to their interest or participation with your brand, so that you can potentially message more than one type of subscriber at a time (topic).
You may have a Consent list per domain, for example, to make sure that their campaigns are in their language. Adding Topics to your list will then allow you to send specific content, tailored to the interest expressed in relation to your brand.
Still, visitors may belong to more than one Consent list or Topic, depending on how you decided to structure your Audience.
Topics are not to be confused with Segments: Segmentation allows you to specify, during your Email and SMS activities, which types of profiles you want to communicate with
Segments work like an optimised, personalised method of targeting profiles. You may build several Segments and mix and match them in different campaigns. This, without affecting the data existent in profiles, Topics or Consent lists.
Profiles that belong to a Segment in any moment may not belong to it later. Profiles that don't belong to a Segment may do in the future: Segmentation is, in short, an intelligent dynamic filter. Read more about Segmentation...
Take a look at these examples:
Your business has a wide range of products, so you may create a Consent list for each one (kitchen, bathroom, outdoors, pets...) and then add Topics within the lists to keep track of their preferences (appliances, sewing materials, pet rabbit accessories and premium bedding). Businesses with different product types may have a Consent list for women's wear that contains shoes, tops, bottoms and accessories as Topics; while another business could have a Consent list for their periodical newsletters with weekly, monthly or quarterly Topics.
Your business provides services to companies all over the world. Given that you have a Section for each continent, you then decide to create a Consent list for each country. You may have several customers per country. So, you create a Consent list per country and in every Consent list you will add Topics that match each one of your customers. That way, whenever you need to communicate with all your customers from Finland (Consent list), you may choose to do so and decide whether every customer in Finland is receiving your communications or only some of them (Topics).
All examples are not only fictional, but only meant to provide pedagogical aid. Every APSIS One Admin user has the freedom to decide how they wish to structure their Audience.
Levels & Types of Consent
There are levels and types of consent for subscriptions in APSIS One Profiles. You can see a comprehensive summary of Profiles' consent changes in their Consent Timeline.
Individuals can provide and withdraw different types of consent, in various levels.
Profiles' consent can be generally divided in two different statuses, and this is often enough to understand whether a Profile will or will not receive your communications:
- Opt-in: Subscribed, provided consent.
- Opt-out: Unsubscribed, withdrawn consent.
Here's some practical information on Consent lists and Topics.
Click on an item below to expand:
How to Navigate your Consent lists
1. Double click on a Consent list to see the statistics. You will see a graph depicting the growth of your list over time.
Change the time period by clicking on the top right corner of the Consent Growth graph; the periods available are the last 7 and 30 days, and the last 6 and 12 months
2. To see the profiles in a Topic, click on a Topic.
3. Look at that! There'll be a summary of the channels the profiles gave consent for, and the growth of your Consent list over time.
4. You may also filter the profiles on display by clicking on the filter button on the left side of the profiles list.
How to Create a Consent list
1. Click on Create a New Consent list.
2. A pop-up will show up for you to fill in.
3. Fill in the List name.
4. Add the Topics for your Consent list. Click Add New to add a new Topic.
5. Under Topic name, write the name of your Topic.
6. Repeat the previous two steps until you've added all your Topics.
7. Made a mistake? To edit a Topic, click on the edit icon on the right of the Topic.
To delete, click the X.
7. All done? Click Save Changes to save your list.
1. Click on the Consent list you wish to edit Topics in.
2. Take a look at the Bottom bar, and click Edit.
3. Time to make your changes! If you want, you may change the List name directly on the List name field.
4. Click Add New to add a new Topic.
5. Write the name of your Topic, then press the Enter key in your keyboard or the checkmark icon in the right side of the Topic.
6. To edit a Topic, click on the Topic and edit its content directly.
7. Continue until you've made all your changes. When done, click Save Changes.
You can discard all the changes by clicking Cancel.
How to Export Profiles from a Topic
APSIS One allows you to export Profiles from a Topic. If you wish to export Profiles from all or several Topics, repeat this process with the desired Topics.
1. Locate and open the Consent list that contains the Topic where the profiles are.
3. Double-click on a specific Topic.
4. On the Bottom bar, click Export all profiles.
5. Choose between exporting the Profiles in either a CSV and XLSX file.
6. Click Export.
7. A file download will begin. There you go!
About Double Opt-in and Pending Status
If you have an active Website tool Signup bar, visitors can opt-in to your communications as they browse through your website. In the Signup bar messaging settings, you have the possibility to enable Double Opt-in, which allows you to confirm the subscription of those Profiles who opt-in to your communications by providing their Email consent.
For your confirmation email and page to match your branding guidelines, you must head over to Account Settings and adjust your Double Opt-in options under Sections.
Once a visitor has provided their email consent they will receive an email message where they are asked to confirm their subscription.
Until they've confirmed their subscription, their Profile will show their email channel consent as pending.
Profiles with a Pending Opt-in Email level of consent will not receive any of your sendings until they confirm their subscription.
Consent lists Tab
To access this area, click on the Consent lists tab.
This area makes it easier for you to manage the Consent lists associated with the data from profiles who gave cookie consent or personal data, depending on the specific Topic chosen, preferred channel, and which domain they visited.
Select a Section
Change Section by clicking the drop-down menu on the top right of the page.
Manage your lists, the amount of consents given and the last date you were given consent.
Looking for something?
Type in this bar to Search and find specific items within the Channel Consent tab.
To search in the entire platform, try global search.